Leading safety tips for new homeowners in Johnson City
If you recently acquired your first home or you’re about to, congratulations! It’s a thrilling time for your family. You might be pondering how you should personalize your house with paint, furnishings, and decor. But, before you go all-in on redecorating, be sure you examine home security too. Keeping the ones you care about safeguarded should always be a top priority, and we’ll show you how with the following safety tips for new homeowners in Johnson City.
Conduct a safety review of your new Johnson City property
Now that safety is at the forefront, find out what your new home has in terms of protection. First, make sure you have functioning smoke detectors. Test all of them and change batteries if necessary. Are CO detectors on site? Is there a water sensor in the cellar? This is also a smart time to update door locks and check all window locks. Go through each room and scope out your property.
Smart security tips for your Johnson City home
Once you’ve finished your initial check of safety alarms and locks, you should think about improving your property’s defense. Begin with these security tips for your home in Johnson City.
- Install a new home security system. One of the smartest things a new homeowner in Johnson City can do is install a home security system. Today’s wireless technology lets you keep an eye on your residence even when you’re away. You can scan live video feeds, operate door locks, and even communicate with people on your front steps straight from your mobile device. You can personalize your defense with amazing security measures such as video cameras and monitored fire alarms.
- Upgrade outside lights. Outdoor lights with motion detection are an effective solution in deterring possible burglars. You can even incorporate them with video cameras. When a motion detector is triggered, it can tell your outdoor camera to record.
- Keep your premises maintained. Are you able to see all of your property from the interior? Are there oversized trees and bushes blocking your view? Eliminate possible hiding spots for burglars by keeping your yard well groomed. Your neighbors will be appreciative of it too.
- Get to know others in your area. Talking about your neighbors, get familiar with them. If you are friendly with people nearby, there’s a greater probability they’ll let you know if they see anything suspicious. You might also join your area’s social media page if one is created.
- Take advantage of home automation. If you go with a modern smart home, you can make it seem like you’re inside by turning on smart lighting at scheduled moments. This is a nice option when you’re at work or on vacation.